Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Flight Patterns

The short story that I would recommend to a friend would be “Flight Patterns.” I have a specific friend in mind because we often speak of the same issues that are in the short story like race and family. I would tell my friend that the third person omniscient point of view gives the story different perspectives, which adds to its impact. The story also makes good use of imagery, such as airplanes, the driver’s scar, and each individual’s hair. The story takes on important issues like race. It is not afraid to be politically incorrect at times. I think it does a good job of portraying how some people really think. I also enjoyed how the characters even addressed the stereotypes in their own races. The issue of family brought up in the story also had an impact on me. It made me think about how I would react to different situations involving my family, which I think my friend would also appreciate. It was interesting to see how William incorporated the Indian culture with “American” culture, and how he dealt with how others saw him. I think the important everyday life issues as well as the style of writing would be appreciated be the person I am thinking of recommending it to.

1 comment: