Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Don Quixote to Dulcinea de Toboso


Me, thinking of you wherever you are,
Still wondering when my eyes will meet yours.
Why is it that you always leave so far?
Breaking in me what lies at all men’s cores.

You have thought another better than me,
So why go on in my unending quest
With hope that one day love will make you see?
What foolish heart in this foolish man’s chest!

What is it in you that I can’t let go?
Why bear this pain whenever I see you?
This mask I wear helps me put on a show.
You do not know what to this heart you do.

For now I wait until the time is right
I’ll have you in my heart to be my light.



The sonnet is written through the voice of Don Quixote, a legendary fictional character created by Miguel de Cervantes. He writes to his lady Dulcinea, who he imagined into reality. I used a very somber tone because throughout the novel Don Quixote often gets sad when speaking of Dulcinea because he longs to see her. Every action in Don Quijote's quest is dedicated to his Lady. I expanded on the character by adding a third party, a man who currently holds the heart of Dulcinea. I took this creative liberty in order to strengthen the effect of the sonnet and intensify Don Quixote's suffering in regard to his lady.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you twisted the poem and added the 3rd party of the other man. It adds on to the pain and heart break of Don Quixote.

    ReplyDelete